[Quiz] identification of bacterial isolates using genome sequence09/18/2017
Bacterial Nomenclature 101 and How to Describe a New Species10/08/2018
Understanding the DNA sequence searching algorithm and difference from the sequence similarity calculation.
Please do the followings:
- Select randomly five 16S sequences from this data set.
- Search them against NCBI NR/NT database at https://blast.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Blast.cgi.
- Search them using EzBioCloud “Identify” at https://www.ezbiocloud.net/identify.
Please answer the following questions:
- Summarize the results of two searches.
- Are the top hits are the same? If not, why?
- What are the meanings of scores/indexes given by BLAST and EzBioCloud searches?
- Is there similarity/identity measure in two searches? Are they the same or not? Can they be used for the taxonomic purposes?
By Jon Jongsik Chun
Jon is a scientist & entrepreneur dedicated to developing bioinformatics related to bacterial systematics, genomics, and microbiome. He is a professor at Seoul National Univ. and founder of ChunLab, Inc. He is best known as a creator of EzBioCloud (formerly EzTaxon) database, and recipient of Bergey Award.